Friday, December 05, 2014

Charlie Brown Speed



If it's almost Christmas time, you can bet we have Charlie Brown Christmas music playing at some point in our house. A certain family member has even been known to panic if we start to decorate the tree without this soundtrack running in the background.

I think it's the simple sweetness of this movie and this music that gets me every time. It makes me want to stop and drink hot chocolate while staring at the twinkling tree, instead of running through a drive-thru and rushing to one more basketball game, which is what usually happens.

This year, I can't change the schedule or change the fast food meals, but I can change my attitude. I can take time each day to look my children in the eye and tell them I love them. I can stop snapping my fingers at them and speak with grace.

I can refuse to do every. single. thing. on my Christmas to-do list.

I want Charlie Brown speed, but if I can't have that, I can at least keep my heart warm and tender to all things Advent. That's the Christmas I want.


How about you? What helps you "slow down" during December?



No comments: