Friday, April 06, 2012

Freestyle Friday 4-6-12

Welcome to Freestyle Friday!
This is my melting pot of everything that's been on my brain for awhile, so buckle your seatbelts.

BOOKS FIRST!

I got a kick out of this book by Ben Clanton.  It's a fun look at elections and breaks that fourth wall by directly engaging your little reader. (like Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late and The Monster at the End of This Book - literary gems!!)

This is just a picture of a happy little bookshelf I'd like to have someday.  *sigh*
Isn't it beautiful? 
Can you read the has been read/will be read ....?
Sweetness.

My little tribe just got done with a road trip (more on that later) where I proceeded to devour this book in a day. A few hours, more accurately.  It's a young adult novel, but I'd read it before recommending it - some pretty heavy stuff.  I loved the style of the novel as it switches between two narrators throughout.  Completely suspenseful and impossible to put down!

What would it look like if babies wrote poetry?  Here's an example from the hilarious book, To What Miserable Wretches Have I Been Born?

Sometimes I look at you and I am filled
with love and admiration

Sometimes I look at you and I'm like,
"Really?"

You can preview more on the link above, but be ready to spit your Diet Coke on the computer screen.  Hilarious.  I think I found my new baby shower gift.

MUSIC

I only have one thing for you in this category today -- the lovely Miss Christy Nockles.  She came out with a new album this week!  Don't miss it!  My favorite song is the first track...


And isn't that a gorgeous album cover?  I'm sure she sketched it herself, totally.

AND ALL THE REST

Have you met Jennie Allen?  She one of the leading Bible teachers for a new generation.  Check out her blog, book, and Bible studies -- you will be hearing more from her in the future, for sure!

Take your kids over to www.jellytelly.com.  Or just go there yourself for a good time. 

2 comments:

Karna said...

Hi Jeannie --
I laughed so hard reading that poetry and promptly ordered the book. Where do you find things like this??
The study Stuck looks like something I would like to do...please let me know if you hear of anyplace that is doing it. I had never heard of her. Thanks for sharing her name.
I will see you Monday night for book club. More then.
Love, Karna

Jeannie said...

Hi Karna! Oh, I should probably have added a disclaimer that the baby poetry book has a few *colorful* words...oh well!

I would love to do the Stuck bible study with someone! We will have to talk!

And as far as where I get stuff -- yikes, everywhere! Magazines, websites, teacher stuff....I am a collector of stuff.

Can't wait to see you Monday!
Jeannie